Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

End of the Year Celebration, Pt. 1

So sorry for the late post tonight, friends!!  This last week of school has been CRAZY busy for me!! So far this week I have finished entering grades, recorded all subject levels, updated IEPs and progress reports, written report card comments, written report card narratives, and worked on end of the year awards and activities. I do so love the end of the year, but it also stresses me out!  :-)  There are officially two more student days left, one day of meetings, and then it's my summer break!!  WOO-HOO!!  :-)

Tonight I'd like to share with you what we do as an end of the year celebration.  At my school, we do not have a kindergarten promotion ceremony.  Instead, we do things in our own classrooms. Even though Friday is our last official day of the school year, we will be having our end of year celebration tomorrow.  First, we sent home a letter last week inviting families to attend if they can.  We will start the festivities with a picnic, hopefully outside but we've got a lot of rain in the forecast so FINGERS CROSSED!!  If we can't have it outside, we'll be having our picnic in the classroom.  After the picnic the littles and their families are going to watch an iPhoto Slideshow that I created containing pictures from the first day of school to the last week.  Hopefully it will spark some fond memories in the littles, and they will end their kindergarten year remembering all the awesome, happy times we had!

After the slide show we will be handing out the end of year awards.  There are the academic-related awards that are handed out every marking period, but there are also special awards we only give at the end of the year.  This year my Pinteresting team-mate Heather found some AMAZING awards to use with our littles.  I am IN LOVE with them so much that I had to share them with you!!  They are a set of color and black & white awards called Dollar Store Superlatives and are created by Michelle Oakes from Fabulous in First

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/End-of-the-Year-Awards-Dollar-Store-Superlatives-669704

These awards are so cute and so much fun, plus each one can be paired with an item from the Dollar Store!!  Michelle includes pictures of all her awards as well as the Dollar Store item she found to go with them.  The awards can be used with or without the items, but it's so much more fun and memorable to pair them up.  Michelle did a really awesome job of creating meaningful awards around different common Dollar Store items.  I love how each award is a reflection of the student's personality.





These are the examples photographs that Michelle includes in her packet, to give you a better understanding of what to pair each award with.  She also provides them as a typed-up description, which I printed out (in black&whute) and used to figure out which awards I wanted to give to each student.  I wrote their names next to each award, and I took that with me when I went to the Dollar Store.  I used it as my shopping list, and crossed off each name as I found the item to go with it.  Most of them I was able to match up perfectly (YAY!!), though my local Dollar Deals did not have all of them items pictured above so I had to find a close substitute.  I think I did okay, though NOT as cute and creative as Michelle did!!

I printed this list to the B&W copier so I could use it as my shopping list.  it is BEAUTIFUL in color, but we are only allowed a certain allotment of color copies and at this point of the year I am running LOW!!  :-)  Luckily I only have 17 students this year, or I may have had to use the black and white versions of each award that Michelle included in her packet!!  :-)

Oh, and one of the coolest parts of this packet??  It comes with a page that....well, buy it for yourself and find out!!  :-)

For tomorrow's post, I'll be including pics of the items I found to pair up with Michelle's creations, as well as some more pics of my kinders' memory book pages.  We've been working on them since last week, and I am SO PROUD of the awesome job they are doing with their writing as well as their ability to sound out their words.  Most of them are remembering and using their sight words, as well as remembering to add lots of details to their illustrations.  I couldn't be any prouder of them!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment