Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Saturday Spotlight

Happy Saturday everyone! I hope that you are able to get outside and enjoy this great weather! How many Mondays do you have before school is out?


I'm going to start using Saturdays to spotlight a different product. Either one I've made or one I've purchased or downloaded from another amazing seller. To start off with, I'd like to spotlight an activity I have available in my store. This is a FREEBIE that you can download and use right away!


This little freebie is the perfect addition to your Animal or Ocean Themes/Units.  In this activity the students are asked to sort animals into two different categories, based on whether or not that animal lives in the ocean.



I created the sorting sheet in a style that would allow my kinders to complete it as independently as possible. Don't you LOVE when they can complete activities independently? I included a key at the top with symbols for the supplies my kinders will need to complete the activity. The box where I want them to put the ocean animals has waves, and the box where they put the non-ocean animals has an X. Once I went over the directions and how to complete, I allowed them to complete this on their own.

These are the animal pieces my kinders cut and paste into the correct categories. This one page has two sets of pieces to help save on copying! I always let my kinders color the pieces after they have glued them into the correct boxes.


Finally, I included this writing prompt with the packet. During our World of Animals Unit, we discuss the different traits and attributes that each animal has which allows it to live in its habitat. We also talk about why some animals can't live in certain habitats. The kinders use this page to write about what the ocean animals have in common that allows them to live in the ocean.

Here's another freebie you can get at my TPT store. Don't forget to click on the green star under my name to become a follower!


This is an activity I created to help my kiddos understand the concept of decomposing numbers by illustrating their equations.  The kiddos choose 2 different colored crayons/colored pencils to complete each illustration.


The students read a story problem. I have my kinders use their two different colors to highlight the two different numbers in each problem. Then they use the same crayon to draw that many marbles in the jar. Finally, they write the numbers of marbles used in the boxes next to each color. I created two pages so you could copy them back to back. This could work as a small group assessment after practicing decomposing numbers, or as a math center activity using real marbles/manipulatives to show each problem.



I would LOVE for you to head over to my TPT store and download a copy for yourself! Feel free to search through the other freebies I have in my store, so far there are 26 different freebies listed in my store. I'm working on adding to that number! Please leave some feedback love, and I would LOVE for you to follow my TPT store! Just click on the green star underneath my name! If you have a product you'd like me to Spotlight on a Saturday, please just let me know and I'd be happy to!!!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing:) I really did enjoy reading your post.

    ReplyDelete