Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Weekly Summer Link-Up: My Favorite Quote

I am linking up with Monica from I Heart Grade 3 for her Weekly Summer Link Up! This week's topic is My Favorite Quote!


I have a confession to make. I have been OBSESSED with quotes for as long as I can remember. I would buy books full of quotes on random topics and keep journals of my favorites. I have always had such a fun time reading a quote and creating my own meaning for it or trying to find a way to connect it to my life. It's really hard to choose one favorite, I have so many! I love all of Dr. Seuss' words of wisdom, like 'You are who you are, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!'

I think, though, that my current must favorite quote was written by J.K. Rowling and spoken by Headmaster Albus Dumbledore.


I love words. I love getting to use them to tell a story or write a letter. I love memorizing the words in songs. I love figuring out how to pronounce words. I love learning new words, and getting to use them in conversation. I feel that words are important, so important that we need to be careful how we use them. This quote reminds me of the power of words.

Remember in school they told us to say "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!"? I could never get behind that statement, because I didn't agree with it. Words can hurt. No matter how much we deny it or hide from it or ignore it, words can hurt. A perfectly timed snide insult can stick with you, popping up into your brain when you least expected it. Hearing hurtful words over and over and over again can make you start to believe them, regardless of their truth.
On the flip side of that, words can be used to help ease hurt. A heart-felt apology can take some of the sting of an insult away. The compliments and assurances from friends can lesson the impact of a rough day.

I believe that words are one of the most important tools we have to express ourselves, and that we need to remember that our words can have an impact on others. As a kindergarten teacher I make sure my kinders know it's important for them to use their words kindly and not to hurt people's feelings. I also try to teach them that people will learn the most about them by the words they speak and how they speak them. 

What is your favorite quote? Link up and tell us all about it!

You can still link up for Spotlight Saturday! Showcase your favorite products, resources, activities, or ideas!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh! What a great quote! I feel like I need to reread the entire series (okay and watch ALL of the movies) because I know I must be missing some awesome Dumbledore quotes! Thanks for sharing this! I am looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never a bad idea for a Harry Potter book or movie marathon!! I think I need to have one myself before the summer is over! I always feel like, no matter how often I read the books, I still find something new that I've missed before! I'm so glad you enjoyed the quote!
      Thank you so much for stopping by to read and leave feedback, it really means a lot to me!

      Delete
  2. Hello again, Erin!

    Thanks for coming back to my linky party! You have been a real blogging trooper this summer! Hip! Hip! Hurray!

    I agree with your position on sticks and stones. Ugh. And have you heard its cousin? "I'm rubber your glue. Whatever you stay bounces off me and sticks to you." Double ugh.

    Thanks again for linking up!

    Monica

    www.iheartgrade3.com
    www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/I-Heart-Grade-3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those comebacks aren't really teaching our kiddos to use their words carefully! I'm glad to have been able to link up with you each week, it's definitely been a fun linky!
      Thanks so much for stopping by, you rock!!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow!! I really love your favorite quote and all the reasons behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That Dumbledore is one smart fella! I hope you have a wonderful week!!

      Delete
  4. Erin, we are so much alike!! I have loved quotes for as long as I can remember! I remember writing song lyrics and quotes from Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on my folders for school! Anyway, so off topic, but I love your quote and your post!! I think words are super important, and I never understood the whole stick and stones things either!! Anyway, have a great summer!

    Melanie
    -Momma with a Teaching Mission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to write quotes on my folders and binders and notebooks too! I always got a little charge when I could look down and read them! I'm so glad you liked my quote, I feel the power of words is so important for kiddos to understand!
      Thanks so much for reading my post!

      Delete